Opera coaching for Pianists
Name and place of institution
Haute Ecole de Musique de Genève, Geneva, Switzerland.
Periods of the EOA module in 2017-2018
• September 18th, 2017 – December 15th, 2017* (with possibility to extend until January 26th, 2018)
• February 19th, 2018 - May 19th, 2018*
* Full time Module for students currently studying for a bachelor, master’s or third cycle degree
• Period of 20 days** to choose in the semesters above between Sept. 18th, 2017 and May 19th, 2018
** Intensive Module for students not currently studying for a bachelor, master’s or third cycle degree
Description of the module
- Opera coaching (individual lessons about all the skills necessary to become an opera coach – how to obtain the orchestra sound, how to play different styles, needs according to the vocal technique of the singer, how to approach different styles of vocalities, preparation of the main opera repertoire)
- Reading piano- and orchestra opera-scores
- Singing lessons
- Practise of opera coaching in several projects of the vocal department (participating and accompanying masterclasses, projects, lessons, stage-productions)
- Construction of a target opera repertoire (creating a “ready” and “stand-by” repertoire of mostly presented arias to accompany during auditions for singers – approximately 50 most important opera arias for all kind of voices)
- Vocal technique and style coaching
- Phonetics and operatic diction (French, English, German, Italian, Russian)
- Knowledge of the international operatic world
- Masterclass (a possible one week seminar in preparing roles for singers and (pianist)coach under supervision by an international (guest)coach)
- Individual follow-up and personalized advice
Speciality of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
Full methodology programme concerning the preparation of opera professional coaching for pianists. Individual teaching with full recognition of the artistic potential and possibilities of each student in agreement with the international professional context.
Names of the Professors of this module
• James Alexander (opera coaching)
• Nina Uhari, Réginald Le Reun (practice of opera coaching)
• Marie Devellereau, James Alexander, Sacha Michon (phonetics and operatic diction)
• Sacha Michon, Fabrice Farina (singing lessons)
• Vincent Thevenaz, Celine Latour (scores reading)
Possible extras in addition to the module
• Preparation of an entire role from opera repertoire: Nina Uhari, Graham Lilly
• Grotowski’s Actor Training, Marc Mayoraz.
• History of contemporary opera, Brice Pauset
• Masterclass and seminars
• Conducting sessions, Celso Antunes
• Chamber music (with singers), Guy-Michel Caillat
• Baroque opera coaching (maestro al cembalo), Leonardo Alarcon
Number of EOA students
Min. 1 student, max. 2 students.
Number of ECTS credits within Master's accreditation
Duration of the EOA module
Full time: 3 months (or possibility of 4 months only in Wintersemester)
Intensive: period of 20 days (not available for Erasmus exchange students)
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
Full time module: 100 hours
Intensive module: (not available for Erasmus exchange students) 16 hours (excluding masterclass)
• Application deadline: June 30th, 2017.
• Application deadline Erasmus exchange: June 30th, 2017.
Entrance examination: in Geneva, t.b.a.
Required repertoire: see conditions on website www.hemge.ch
or contact the head of vocal department,
Description of the final examination
Total expenses of the EOA module per student
Full time module : free for students in Erasmus Programme (Swiss mobility Programme).
Intensive Module : CHF 1000,00 for students outside Erasmus Programme (Swiss mobility Programme); not available for Erasmus exchange students).* **
* Prices do not include travel or living expenses.
** Prices are only applicable for students not currently studying for a bachelor, master's or third cycle degree.
Academy of music: Geneva
Period: winter, spring, autumn